In 1963 it was transferred to the Western Region and re-coded 83D, but two years later it was closed to steam;(Above) Another super-wide view from the carriage window as the train passes Seaton Junction on 9th July 1961.
Opened in 1868, the branch serving the seaside resort of Seaton became a popular venue with holidaymakers, but with increased car ownership during the 1960s, holiday traffic to the resort declined and this led to a gradual run down of rail services and eventual closure of both the branch and junction in March 1966.
As it turned out the performance of the 'Lord Nelson's' was marred by poor steaming resulting in Maunsell embarking upon a number of experiments.
This included the fitting of smoke deflectors which benefitted the class, but it wasn't until Oliver Bulleid became CME of the Southern Railway in 1938 and fitted larger diameter chimneys and Lemaître multiple jet blastpipes that the problem was ultimately solved.
In 1925 REL Maunsell set about the construction of a Class 7P 4-cylinder locomotive with an improved boiler and Belpaire firebox, albeit the design was compromised by the weight restrictions imposed by the SR's Civil Engineer.
The first of the 'Lord Nelson' class No 850 emerged from Eastleigh Works in August 1926.
Bulleid's contribution greatly transformed the 'Nelson's' (Above-Below) No 850 Lord Nelson departs from Waterloo with the 5pm West of England express in May 1936; the loco is about to pass beneath the overhead signal box, which closed in October 1936 as part of the Waterloo approaches re-signalling and commissioning of Wimbledon Flyover.
(Below) The absence of smoke deflectors dates this photo of 'Lord Nelson' class No 861 Lord Anson receiving attention from the driver at Wokingham station in November 1929.
Electrification of the former London & South Western Railway suburbanservices began in 1925 and was operated by two 3-car power units with non-driving trailer coaches between.
A second batch of ten N15s was built between June 1922 and March 1923 to cope with the intensified timetable to the West Country.
Following Grouping in January 1923, the LSWR became part of the new Southern Railway, and the Chief Mechanical Engineer, REL Maunsell, rebuilt the former Drummond G14 and P14 4-6-0s to Maunsell's N15 specification.
It was decided to name the he first G14 to be rebuilt was given the first name King Arthur.
The Urie locomotives were also given names connected with Arthurian legend and thereafter they were referred to as 'Urie Arthurs', whereas the Maunsell batches of N15s were nicknamed the 'Eastleigh' and 'Scotch Arthurs' - the latter so named because Maunsell placed an order for twenty N15s to be constructed by the North British Loco Company in Glasgow due to a lack of production capacity at Eastleigh which was busy with repair and overhaul work.